Thursday, March 27, 2014

Banana Bread (Nigella Lawson)

Pin It Now!

This is simply delicious banana cake. The texture is moist with rum fragrant from the soaked raisins. If you are banana bread lovers do give this recipe a try :)


Reference from Joyce, Kitchen Flavour, adapted from "How To Be A Domestic Goddess" by Nigella Lawson
Banana Bread (lined 8-inch round pan)
Ingredients:
(A)
½ cup golden raisins
6 tablespoons or 3 ounces bourbon or dark rum (reduced to 3 tablespoons)

(B)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

(C)
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
½ cup sugar (used 60g light brown sugar)
2 large eggs
4 small, very ripe bananas, mashed (used 300g, without skin)
¼ cup chopped walnut (omit)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:
1. Put the golden raisins and rum or bourbon in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, cover, and leave for an hour if you can, or until the raisins have absorbed most of the liquid, then drain.
*Since I reduced to 3 tablespoons I used all together with the liquid.

2. Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl, and using your hands or a wooden spoon, combine well.

3. In a large bowl, mix the melted butter and sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the mashed bananas.
* I read instructions wrongly :P I beaten the soften butter with sugar instead. Nevertheless the cake still turns great.

4. Then, with your wooden spoon, stir in the walnuts (if using), drained raisins, and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture, one third at a time, stirring well after each addition.

5. Scrape into the lined pan and bake at 180C for about 45 minutes. When it is ready, an inserted toothpick or fine skewer should come out clean. Leave in the pan on a rack to cool, and eat thickly or thinly sliced, as you prefer.

I’m submitting this post to Cook Like A Star-All-Stars Anniversary Party hosted by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids, Mich of Piece of Cake and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

10 comments:

  1. I trust the Vivian Pang brand... So because u said it, I will bookmark and try this recipe for my nx banana cake bake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian, I saw this on Joyce's blog too and yours is also lovely! I must bake this banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of banana and raisins does sound delicious. Must give this a try one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vivian,
    This is my favourite banana cake! I have tried a few others but have always consider this my favourite! Glad that you like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Viv,
    Looks like this is a popular banana cake.
    Yours looks really yum!
    Must try soon :)
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banana bread... my kids will love it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks moist and flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Viv,

    Joyce has emphasized to me that this is one of the best banana cake recipes that she ever baked... Great that you have tried and liked this recipe.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. This looks so good! I'm always amazed at how many great banana bread recipes there are out there

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for sharing. I baked it turn out SO GOOD ! Delicious & moist.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...