Thursday, October 9, 2014

Wholemeal Pumpkin bread/ 17hrs Pre-fermented Sponge Dough

Pin It Now!

I saw this great recipe with added sweet potatoes. In order to support this month LTU cooking event I used pumpkin instead. This recipe gives very sticky dough and is advisable to knead with stand mixer. Next time will reduce the amount of water. Luckily I manage to shape my loaf nicely but not the cheese buns :P I roughly divide the dough into 6 portions and shape into log as neat as I can. By the way after sprinkle with cheddar cheese on top the uneven dough not so noticeable :D



For this dough I actually leave to rise (1st proving stage) for 75 minutes (which I used to prove my bread dough). I think the proving time is too long for this recipe. My bread turns out spongy with big holes. Nevertheless is great soft bread. 

Do visit my previous recipe which is using 17hrs pre-fermented method. Step-by-step provided on how to prepare the pre-fermented sponge dough.


Wholemeal Pumpkin bread/ 17hrs Pre-fermented Sponge Dough
Adapted and slightly modified from Cass, 揾到食
Ingredients:
~17 hours pre-fermented sponge dough
½ teaspoon + ¼ teaspoon instant yeast (5g)
170g water
170g bread flour

Add yeast, water and flour in sequence into a container (same container for storage as well). Mix with spatula till well combine. Cover and leave at room temperature for an hour.
Keep inside refrigerator at least 16 hours before used.
*I find that it is easy to mix by adding yeast, water and lastly flour.
*I prefer to use all the chilled sponge dough after the 17 hours.

~Main dough (yield about 1200g dough)
50g sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
160ml water (very sticky dough. Next time may reduce to 100ml)
150g wholemeal flour
300g bread flour
22g milk powder
½ teaspoon instant yeast (4g)
140g pumpkin puree (steamed and mashed)

25g vegetable oil

For cheese buns topping
Some shredded cheddar cheese
Few tablespoons sugar

Method:
1. Put all pre-fermented sponge dough into kneading bowl. Follow by the rest of ingredients for main dough except oil. Knead till form dough. Then add in oil and knead till form smooth and elastic. Cover and leave to rest for 45-60 minutes or till double its size.

2. Transfer to working surface. Divide dough and shape according to your preference.
For my :
(a) loaf bread
Weight about 400g dough. Roll out into rectangle shape. Then roll into log and place into sandwich loaf tin.

(b) cheese bun
Weigh about 400g dough. Divide the dough into 5-6 portions. Roll out into rectangle and roll like swiss roll. Repeat till all finished. Place each sticks inside 8” square lined pan.

3. Leave both loaf and buns rest for 45 minutes or double its size.


4. For cheese buns scatter some cheddar cheese on top and sprinkle some sugar. Bake in preheated oven at 160C for 15 minutes. For loaf bread, bake at 160C for 30 minutes

*Do adjust according your oven temperature.




5. Remove and leave on wire rack to cool


Photobucket

I'm linking this post to the event Little Thumbs Up Oct 2014 Event: Pumpkin organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary)


14 comments:

  1. i bet this is an absolutely soft toast... can even tear it apart like tissue paper.. love this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vivian, i like the toast texture and i guess this must be soft and nice to serve with a cup of coffee.

    Thanks for joining LTU, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing on this recipe too long ago but have yet had time to prepare it. Hopefully, one day ! Yours look perfectly done & love the holes on the bread.
    Have a lovely evening day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read different kinds of pumpkin dough but I think this is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vivian,
    Thanks for sharing this to LTU!
    I never use the 17 hours sponge dough, this bread must be super soft.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vivian. For this recipie does it yield 800gms or 1200 gms. Very nice texture loaf. Hope to try this.thanks. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vivian. For this recipie does it yield 800gms or 1200 gms. Very nice texture loaf. Hope to try this.thanks. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a very useful blog,thank you for sharing this post with us,keep posting like useful blogs.
    For astorlogy service contact
    Vashikaran Astrologer in Mumbai Suburban

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really a nice article. Thank you so much for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely, it will be helpful for others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so grateful for your article. Really looking forward to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am really happy to say that I deeply read your article.

    ReplyDelete
  13. บริการ สล็อต slot ด้วยระบบเกมใหม่ปัจจุบันของพวกเรา ได้ปรับปรุงแก้ไขให้มีความเสถียรภาพมากยิ่งขึ้น PG SLOT เล่นสล็อตผ่านมือถือ ก็ไม่มีหลุด เล่นได้ทุกระบบปฏิบัติการ จะเล่นโทรศัพท์มือถือเครื่องไหน คอมจำพวกใด

    ReplyDelete

Thank you by dropping by my blog. I would appreciate if you can leave comments on my posts for friendships.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...